[xmonad] Getting xmonad working with GNOME 3.8?

William Ting io at williamting.com
Sat Apr 27 02:54:45 CEST 2013

Sorry, I should have been a bit less vague in my last email. Usually Arch's
wiki <https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xmonad#GNOME_3_and_xmonad> is
pretty good at handling these scenarios, but unfortunately it's not helpful
in this regard.

GNOME 3's Mutter and xmonad don't play nice together, so in the past xmonad
users have always used GNOME's fallback mode (i.e. Metacity). There was
some brouhaha when GNOME announced they were going to drop fallback
mode<http://tech.slashdot.org/story/12/11/10/0540251/gnome-38-to-scrap-fallback-mode>due
to lack of support, but after a lot of complaints they reversed
that decision<http://news.softpedia.com/news/GNOME-Fallback-Mode-Returns-in-GNOME-3-8-311260.shtml>
.

In either case, I've always used xmonad in conjunction with GNOME 3.x in
the past but the latest upgrade to 3.8 has broken the configuration.
Entering the desktop leaves a broken state where the thing visible is a
grey background and a black bar where the top panel should be.

I'm guessing that something changed in the back end and that's what broke
xmonad <http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Xmonad/Using_xmonad_in_Gnome>,
however I'm not sure where to start debugging the issue.

Thanks for reading,

William