[xmonad] XMonad avoidStruts really slow

Joachim Breitner mail at joachim-breitner.de
Thu Apr 25 16:56:40 CEST 2013

Dear Svein,

Am Donnerstag, den 25.04.2013, 15:49 +0100 schrieb Svein Ove Aas:

> I've had some speed issues with XMonad and Chrome lately, which I
> eventually tracked to avoidStruts. (And Chrome, but never mind that.)
>

> I think the problem is probably that ManageDocks.calcGap recalculates
> the gap every time you switch windows, and not for instance every time
> a new window is created.. but that's as much as I've managed to figure
> out.
>

> Things work pretty well if I just swap avoidStruts for a
> statically-configured 16-pixel gap, so I'm going to leave it at this
> for now, in hopes that the fix will be immediately obvious to you. I
> might give it a shot if you don't have time, though.

thanks for spotting the issue!

It’s been a while since I hacked on xmonad, and I don’t see an immediate
fix. Some way to approach it would be to extend the xmonad core so that
the result of getStrut is stored along with the window. Another way
would be to extend the datatype of the AvoidStruts to remember some
data. But what? The gap? The strut of each window? Only on the current
workspace or everywhere?

I suggest you take this discussion on the xmonad mailing list, which I
have CCed, and maybe you can come up with a fix!

Greetings,
Joachim

--
Joachim "nomeata" Breitner