[xmonad] Don't use xmessage when (re)compile errors

Pablo Olmos de Aguilera C. pablo at glatelier.org
Tue Sep 25 19:48:32 CEST 2012

On 25 September 2012 08:46, Norbert Zeh <nzeh at cs.dal.ca> wrote:
> Hi Pablo:
>
> You can of course always get the darcs version and edit the source code that
> invokes xmessage and make sure it doesn't do that.  This may not be a great
> idea, though, because you might get terribly confused that some change you made
> in your xmonad.hs file seems to have no effect...because of a compile error you
> were not notified of.  My point is: the way it's set up right now, the popping
> up of xmessage is your only indication that the recompile on restart failed.

Yes, tha's an option, but it's a bit too much to modify the source
code to do that. If you run xmonad --recompile from the command line
it's showed in stdout.

On 25 September 2012 12:42,  <wagnerdm at seas.upenn.edu> wrote:
> If you prefer the command line, you can use "xmonad --recompile", which will
> dump its errors to stdout (or maybe stderr, I don't remember). When it
> doesn't give any output, then either "xmonad --restart" or mod+q.

Stdout, but it will still show a xmessage window D:

On 25 September 2012 13:02, Brandon Allbery <allbery.b at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a wrapper (remapping to kdialog, but feel free to make it a symlink
> to /bin/true instead :) in my private bin directory.  You will have to make
> sure your $PATH is set up properly.

That's a good idea :), could you point me to where is your "private
bin directory" O_o?

Regards,
--
Pablo Olmos de Aguilera Corradini - @PaBLoX