[xmonad] gnome theming is destroying my life

Carsten Mattner carstenmattner at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 10:41:46 CEST 2012

On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 4:27 AM, Michael Norrish
<michael.norrish at nicta.com.au> wrote:
> On 13/09/12 10:52, Brandon Allbery wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 8:18 PM, Michael Norrish
>> <michael.norrish at nicta.com.au
>> <mailto:michael.norrish at nicta.com.au>> wrote:
>>
>>     Until a few days ago, this was giving me a very pleasant xmonad
>> experience
>>     with a little gnome seasoning.
>>     But, it also seems as if I can't adjust my gnome settings.
>>

>> This happened to me when I migrated my Debian stable to testing (which ran
>> GNOME
>> 3); I never did find a way to make it behave, and finally gave up and
>> wiped the
>> install.
>

> Thanks for the (depressing) news.  I will have to look into what I can do
> without.

GNOME 3.x theming is still evolving and therefore you most
probably have a theme which doesn't work correctly with
the installed GNOME libraries. You can set a theme
in ~/.config/gtk-3.0/settings.ini.
Try a default theme or one from gnome-look.org which supports
your 3.2 or 3.4 GNOME version.