[xmonad] How to prefix workspace names with numbers?

Jacek Generowicz jacek.generowicz at cern.ch
Fri Oct 12 00:10:54 CEST 2012

Brandon Allbery writes:

> On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 5:16 PM, Jacek Generowicz
> <jacek.generowicz at cern.ch>wrote:
>
>> Can you control, say, Apple Mail or Safari with XMonad?
>
> Ah, you're in the X11 uber alles camp.

:-)

Not at all. But I am in 'the why run two completely different window
managers simultaneously, when it's far more comfortable to be running
just the one' camp. But the ease with which your suggestion rolls off
the tongue does make for a strong temptation to switch camps.

> In that sense they are immiscible, yes; X11 is a second class citizen,
> it should be a second class citizen, this will never change,

Agreed. But then why bother with XMonad on OS X?

> if you don't like it then indeed you must run something else.  There
> are plenty of craptacular X11 desktop environments on Linux if that's
> what you like.

Eh?

No. I like not having to take my fingers off the home row. I like never
seeing a single pixel of my desktop background. I like XMonad: As bare
(in terms of surrounding desktop environment) as possible. I hate the
craptacular desktop environments, and find OS X's effort only marginally
less craptacular than the Linux ones (for my personal use: for people
who like to point and click, it's lightyears ahead).

For my personal use, OS X offered me 3 useful features.

1. I buy any MacBook and open the lid: WiFi works.

2. I plug in an external drive: a backup is made.

3. I close the lid: it goes to sleep; when I open the lid again, it
   restores the session.

No careful picking of the hardware. No downloading of drivers. No
enabling of kernel modules. No editing of configuration files. No time
spent on choosing between the 248 backup solutions on offer.

(Apple Mail is also immensely less sucky than any other (non-Emacs) mail
client I have ever had the displeasure of using.)

BTW, can anyone recommend a Linux backup solution that Just Works?