[xmonad] How to prefix workspace names with numbers?

Pablo Olmos de Aguilera C. pablo.olmosdeaguilera at gmail.com
Fri Oct 12 00:07:01 CEST 2012

On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 05:28 PM, Jacek Generowicz <jacek.generowicz at cern.ch> wrote:

> from: Jacek Generowicz <jacek.generowicz at cern.ch>
> date: Thu, Oct 11 10:28 PM +02:00 2012
> to: "Pablo Olmos de Aguilera C." <pablo at glatelier.org>
> cc: xmonad at haskell.org
> subject: Re: [xmonad] How to prefix workspace names with numbers?
>

> Pablo Olmos de Aguilera C. writes:
>
>> Hibernate has never worked ok with my laptops and I move my laptop almost
>> everyday.
>
> Understood. This is one of the two or three main reasons why I tolerated
> OS X for 8 years: that shit just works (TM).
>
> Incidentally, the immiscibility of XMonad and Aqua was one of, if not
> *the* major reason for me moving back.
>
> My hibernation was broken for a while until around a week ago.  Painful
> times. (I've been back in Linux long enough now, that it's probably time
> to ditch Ubuntu.) The trouble with trying to solve problems of this kind
> is that it forces you to reboot your computer. Many times. And, by now,
> you know how I feel about that.
>
> Hint: TuxOnIce
>
>> Even though, I proposed myself (once again) to try to get it working!
>> (I have faith on TuxOnIce).
>
> ... Ah, you already know about it. Well, it worked like a charm for me.

Well, it happened that there was a repo with the package already compiled
for my distro (Arch) so I didn't even have to patch it myself. Now
hibernate, after like 5 years it's working. Thanks for motivating me to fix
that.

>> You xmonad configuration is really "sui generis",
>
> Heh, yes, I'm a /sui generis/ kinda guy :-)

I can see that.

>> It's well commented
>
> I tried. But I fell way short of the standards I was hoping to achieve,
> before I could no longer justify spending any more time on XMonad. The
> thing is, I know that a future me will, one day, invest another solid
> chunk of time in trying to get XMonad to do his bidding ... and that
> guy's a maniac, and he knows where I live.
>
>> and has the best hotkey configuration I've ever seen.
>
> Yes, I do like that scheme. Though I'm sure it could be made better,
> it's already a huge improvement on the standard, scatter arcane
> keybinding incantations in a random order approach.
>
> One day, I'll get back to it and implement the keybindings display
> feature. The trouble is that opening my config file and looking at that
> table, is sufficiently painless, that that particular itch doesn't need
> much scratching.

I remember that some guy did something like that using Zenity and patching
XMonad. Hope it helps ;).

https://github.com/thomasf/dotfiles-thomasf-xmonad/blob/master/.xmonad/lib/XMonad/Config/A00001.hs#L492

>> I totally fell in love with it and I'm prolly going to make a
>> big mix between mine and yours.
>
> Cool! Makes me happy. I thank you for persuading me to post it.

>>> That's something else that I find unfathomable. Email is essentially
>>> text. To deal with it efficiently, I want to use the most efficient tool
>>> I have for dealing with text. That would be the text editor I use daily,
>>> and whose actions have been imprinting themselves into the core of my
>>> nervous system over the course of many years. Regardless of what your
>>> choice of editor is, I can't fathom why you would want to relinquish all
>>> that in favour of a slow, cumbersome, inefficient, pointy-clickety
>>> interface.
>>
>> I use the hotkeys which helps a bit, but after started using xmonad and then
>> pentadactyl reaching the mouse it's a pain that I try to avoid at all costs.
>
> Hmm, so Pentadactyl is the new Vimperator. I'm sure that you can guess
> that I use Conkeror: still wouldn't let it anywhere near my mail.

Not exactly. Pentadactyl it's a fork (or it was in the beginning) and both
projects are actively (?) developed right now.

>>> OK, maybe managing your mail, as opposed to writing it, is something
>>> that only Emacs users would understand/want/appreciate. But *writing*
>>> your mail? Surely *everyone* would want to write their mail in their
>>> standard text editor, rather than some ad-hoc one. (So that, for
>>> example, if you want to prepend the author's initials to each of his
>>> quoted lines, there's nothing to wonder about: it just happens
>>> naturally.)
>>
>> Yeah, I somehow do that. In fact this email is being written in a gvim window.
>> I use pentadactyl so after a couple of keystrokes (<C-i>) on a textarea throws
>> me here.
>
> Te-he. C-i takes me from a Conkeror textarea into Emacs. Still wouldn't
> let it anywhere near my email :-)
>
>> The only issue with that is that I still can't make xmonad understand that all
>> these windows should be floating and not tiled =/.
>
> Truth be told: I've never understood the point of these floating
> windows, or how they actually work in XMonad. (Perhaps I don't make
> enough use of stuff like GIMP.) When I get a floating window, it's often
> only a matter of seconds before I tile the bugger, out of annoyance.
>
> I'm sure that I could benefit from some education in this respect.
>
>> I wrote in this list a while ago but every attempt to make a "generic"
>> declaration with a managehook failed.

I even tried to use an infix operator because the buffer window was always
named the same (/etc/pentadactyl.txt), but for some reason that windows
never cared what the manageHook said.

>>> Personally, I just can't stomach any mail interface that is not Embedded
>>> in Emacs. But then Emacs is pretty much my OS.
>>
>> I don't know if I can "embed" a mail interface in vim (I haven't searched), but
>> I guess that mutt is the closest thing to that.
>
> Chances are that it's not (sensibly) possible. It's very much an Emacs
> cultural thing, to take whatever it is that you do repeatedly, and have
> Emacs absorb it. Org-mode is an epic testament to this.

Well, it seems that there are some alternatives (check the signature of this
email ;))

>> Anyway, once again I felt motivated to get rid of the gmail web interface
>> :)
>
> I must stop leading you astray. :-)

lol

--