[xmonad] How to prefix workspace names with numbers?

Jacek Generowicz jacek.generowicz at cern.ch
Wed Oct 10 09:27:39 CEST 2012

Hans Chen writes:

> Wow, thanks for the comprehensive explanation!

'Twas a pleasure.

> 2. Bind keys for switching and creating workspaces, in the latter case it
> doesn't autocomplete:

Yes, My config needs improving in this respect.

On the one hand I like just being able to create a new workspace with
the same key as switching. On the other, if I want to create a workspace
with a name which starts with the same letter as an existing one, I get
a switch. So I have to resort to tricks like prepending the new name
with an underscore, and then deleting it before hitting return.

So, in the back of my mind I've been meaning to create a dedicated 'new
workspace' key. Maybe this will motivate me to get on and do it.

> Works like a charm. I'm still experimenting with which keys to use, but
> otherwise I'm pretty satisfied with this.

Aaah, I love the sound of productivity increasing.

> Ideally I would like to order all workspaces by when they were created.

Hmm. Interesting choice.

> And I would like Actions.CycleWS to ignore workspaces that are visible on
> other screen (to avoid switching those workspaces).

Hmm. Another interesting choice.

> Now I'm going off topic, but does anyone know if it's possible with
> the toggleOrDoSkip function?

Not off the top of my head, sorry.

> About the original question about prefixing workspace names with numbers,
> I'm happy with the prompt + autocomplete, so I don't really need an answer
> (unless it's easy to achieve).

I'd have to dig around to remind myself about the relevant plumbing, so
if you're happy with what you've got, I'll pass on this one.