[xmonad] How to prefix workspace names with numbers?

Hans Chen hanswchen at gmail.com
Tue Oct 9 10:11:56 CEST 2012

On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 6:04 AM, Pablo Olmos de Aguilera C. <
pablo at glatelier.org> wrote:

> First, I'd question myself why I would want to create workspaces on
> the fiy :P, and then "keep them" enough time to make your issue
> relevant. I always imagined dynamicworkspaces as a complement to
> create "short-lived" workspaces. Also, if you are creating the same
> (or similar) workspaces every time... maybe there isn't really a good
> reason to create them on the fly.

Thanks for your suggestion. I tried it the "standard way" first, but found
that it didn't fit my workflow that well.

> In my case I keep 7 "fixed" WS:
>
> 1:terms, 2:web, 3:coding, 4:files, 5:media, 6:various, 7:im.
>
> They are called that way, so it's easy to use the number to jump
> between them and then I create/rename/remove "dynamic" ones in case
> are needed.

I had a similar setup, but with 10 workspaces with 3 "various" (unnamed)
ones. But I found that most of the time I only used about half of the
workspaces, since I use my computer for many different things. I still keep
a set of default workspaces, but DynamicWorkspaces is really nice for
creating space for the other tasks.

> Another module that helps (a lot) in jumping/moving between workspaces
> are X.A.CycleRecentWS and X.A.CycleWS, I think you should take a look
> :)

I use CycleWS to cycle between screens - it's a bit annoying for workspaces
since it may change the workspaces on the other screens. (If I cycle to a
workspace that's already shown on a physical screen, it will be swapped
with the current one.)

On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 9:18 AM, Jacek Generowicz
<jacek.generowicz at cern.ch>wrote:

> Pablo Olmos de Aguilera C. writes:
>  + Select workspace by name Automatically switches when unique starting
>   substring is entered: this means that most workspace switches take just
>   two keystrokes. And I don't have to remember that, say, files is 4: I
>   just have to remember that files starts with 'f' (or, in extremis, 'fi').

Hm, maybe I should get used to that instead, it sounds really nice. Can you
please tell me more about how you have configured it to switch
automatically and/or post the relevant parts of your xmonad.hs? I use the
default keybindings, so I have to hit tab and return after entering the
substring in order to switch, which is a bit too slow for my liking.

Cheers,
Hans