[xmonad] How to prefix workspace names with numbers?

Hans Chen hanswchen at gmail.com
Tue Oct 9 00:17:53 CEST 2012

Hi,

I'm a new xmonad user, and despite knowing next to no Haskell, I've made
xmonad work pretty much the way I want it. Fantastic!

Now there's only one major thing I miss. Let's get to the point before
boring you with rationales; I want DynamicLog to prefix my workspace names
with a number, e.g. "web", "chat", "work" becomes "1:web", "2:chat",
"3:work". I found a previous discussion[1] in the mailing list and a zsh
script[2], but I would like to do it directly in xmonad.hs, presumable
where I define my PP. (I use dzen2 to display the workspace names, if it
makes any difference).

My PP is pretty standard, you can find it here: http://paste.kde.org/564734/

So why do I want this? I use DynamicWorkspaces to create and delete
workspaces on the fly, but still prefer to use Mod(+shift)+<number> to
switch and move windows between workspaces. This is a bit hard, however,
without a number next to the workspace name. I know that you can bind a key
to selectWorkspace, but I find it faster to switch using the traditional
method when you don't have many workspaces.

I'm using xmonad 0.10 and xmonad-contrib 0.10, but I guess I wouldn't mind
trying out darcs if it's needed.

Help would be very much appreciated!

With best regards,
Hans