[xmonad] Prospective development of Xmonad

Ben Boeckel mathstuf at gmail.com
Wed Nov 28 06:43:46 CET 2012

On Thu, Nov 22, 2012 at 21:15:40 GMT, Eric Velten de Melo wrote:
> My other concern it that X is quite old and becoming obsolete. Instead
> of adding all these features to XMonad, maybe we should consider
> building a new display manager (a port would be impossible) around
> something like Wayland.

Someone mentioned on IRC a while back that they were interested in
making a Wayland protocol library (no C bindings) which a Wayland-XMonad
(WMonad?) could be implemented.

Another interesting exercise would be to factor out the X monad from
XMonad so that WMonad could still use XMonadContrib (some things would
have to be reimplemented for Wayland (such as X.H.DynamicBars), but
for those that just manipulate StackSet, it shouldn't be insane). Some
modules would be more useful as well (I used to use CopyWindow until I
started using multi-monitor where it falls flat on its face; Wayland
will make CopyWindow actually possible with multi-monitor).

> This would be also quite a huge amount of work, but maybe something
> people would be more interesting in doing. I know I would.

I'm interested and I'd be interested in helping to port XMonadContrib
modules over (or do adaptations to support XMonad and WMonad at the same
time).

-- Ben