[xmonad] Accessing minimized windows in Xmonad.Layout.Minimize

adam vogt vogt.adam at gmail.com
Thu Nov 15 00:15:28 CET 2012

On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 5:10 PM, Raghavendra D Prabhu
<raghu.prabhu13 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I am using Xmonad.Layout.Minimize with BoringWindows. When I minimize more
> windows, I would like to access them out of order than do one by one through
> RestoreNextMinimizedWin or restore from taskbar (I don't have taskbar,
> trayer + xmobar). Is there a way to hook it into Xmonad.Prompt or
> XMonad.Actions.WindowBringer etc.?  It will also be helpful since if I
> forget which windows have been minimized.

Hi Raghavendra

To be able to restore and then bring, the function might look like:

bringRestored :: Window -> X ()
bringRestored w =do
    broadcastMessage (RestoreMinimizedWin w)
    windows (bringWindow w) -- or something else like

Then you could to hook up XMonad.Prompt doing something similar to
to supply that Window argument. Using XMonad.Util.Dmenu is shorter but
might be broken depending on how your dmenu version matches up with
your contrib version. In any case you should get the idea of how it
can be done.

bringRestoredWindow = do
  wm <- windowMap
  w <- dmenu (M.keys wm)