[xmonad] Desktop integration, problem with screen focus

Hans Chen hanswchen at gmail.com
Wed Nov 14 21:18:23 CET 2012

On Wed, Nov 14, 2012 at 8:28 PM, Brandon Allbery <allbery.b at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 14, 2012 at 4:39 AM, Hans Chen <hanswchen at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> From what I understand xmonad creates virtual root windows on each screen
>> to detect if focus should
>

> xmonad neither uses nor cares about virtual root windows; they're the sort
> of thing desktop managers use.  Where did you get this idea?

Note that it was fixed in xmonad 0.9. I haven't looked at the actual source
though, I just assumed that the solution was similar to the one described
by the Issue.

Instead it is rather likely that xmonad is lazy about the notion of screen
> focus; in many ways, a workspace with no windows "doesn't exist" even if
> it's on a screen, because in practice a workspace is defined by its
> windows. In particular, much of the concept of "workspace" is created by
> the layoutHook, which usually doesn't do anything if there are no windows.

Well, as mentioned, it works fine without plasma-desktop running. It's no
biggie since I mostly use the keyboard, but it would be nice to fix for the
few occasions when I use the mouse.

Hans