[xmonad] A community-driven effort to make XMonad better and better

wagnerdm at seas.upenn.edu wagnerdm at seas.upenn.edu
Wed Nov 7 15:26:33 CET 2012

Hi Alfredo,

> As part of this community effort, I would like to find a Wiki, a
> forum, a ML or an IRC channel when we can talk about the future of
> XMonad.

We have all of these except a forum:

wiki: http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Xmonad
ML: you're on it, xmonad at haskell.org
IRC channel: #xmonad on Freenode

> As first step, I would like to enhance the XMonad website, with
> something more "cool" and more 2.0-style.

Perhaps fork the current website and make a proposal by submitting a
pull request. The repository is here:
http://github.com/davidlazar/xmonad.org
I'm not sure I agree that the current website is particularly
defective, though.

> I would like to discuss an architecture that can modularize XMonad
> at the point we have a lean, platform-independent microkernel (see
> the "Microkernel" architectural pattern) and then a whole family of
> platform dependent product (OSX, Linux, etc).

This is already how xmonad is structured. The xmonad library provides
a StackSet which is completely divorced from X, and a thin wrapper
that connects X and a StackSet. If you want to see platform-dependent
products, feel free to build them on top of xmonad and let us know!

~d