[xmonad] Still seeing Java gray screens after applying patch from Issue 177

Sean Neilan sean at seanneilan.com
Sat Nov 3 18:29:09 CET 2012

Dear Creators/Users of the most amazing window manager in all of cyberspace,

I was running the xmonad & xmonad contrib from the ubuntu repos but java
Charles web debugging proxy gave me gray screens.
http://www.charlesproxy.com/

In order to run Java apps, I downloaded and patched XMonad 10.1
http://code.google.com/p/xmonad/issues/detail?id=177#makechanges

I put the new compiled xmonad in my ~/.cabal/bin folder
and linked
/usr/bin/xmonad to ~/.cabal/bin/xmonad

Without restarting X11, I did xmonad --recompile and still see grey screens
when starting Java apps.

I have Ubuntu 12.04 64 bit with sun java 1.7.0_09. I'm using Gnome3 with
XMonad inside.

my xmonad.hs is here
http://pastebin.com/tgEBpEui

my ghc-pkg list is here
http://pastebin.com/wg6L8vdA

I tried adding import XMonad.Hooks.ICCCMFocus to my xmonad.hs but that
caused errors.

I have the right xmonad version:
➜  .xmonad  xmonad --version
xmonad 0.10.1

I have cat named chloe:
https://www.facebook.com/catnamedchloe

ghc-pkg check doesn't seem to be erroring:
http://pastebin.com/mRhjnYcf

Is there something else I should try? Thank you for your time.
-Sean

http://seanneilan.com/