[xmonad] Best way to autostart applications?

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Mon May 21 23:58:28 CEST 2012

On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 5:52 PM, Pablo Olmos de Aguilera Corradini <
pablo.olmosdeaguilera at gmail.com> wrote:

> I know there are a couple of ways to autostart, through xinit,
> xsession, 'spawn', 'spawn' a shell script, ecc. Afaik there's not a
> unique answer.

There is no single way to use xmonad, so there can't be a single answer
that covers all cases.

> Sometimes I need the apps to run at the end, after the whole
> environment is loaded. I don't know if there's a hook or something
> like that.

"After the whole environment is loaded" is not a well defined state;
especially if you mean "all application windows are open and where they
belong", the only way to do it is to have code in (probably) the logHook
that watches the pieces fall into place and triggers something once it all
has done so (and then sets a persistent flag so it won't re-trigger next
time it thinks everything is ready).  Think about it a bit.