[xmonad] bringing xmonad into the threaded world

wagnerdm at seas.upenn.edu wagnerdm at seas.upenn.edu
Mon May 7 16:31:44 CEST 2012

Quoting Brandon Allbery <allbery.b at gmail.com>:

> Also be aware that a number of contrib modules *already* use threads...
> green threads, which open their own $DISPLAY connections.  This is entirely
> safe as long as you don't do something that would block in an FFI call or
> that would expect the xmonad main loop to run while simultaneously
> expecting a *synchronous* response (as the infamous putSelection did).

These two caveats sound like a great argument for applying this patch
bundle to me.

However, if there's significant concern, I would be willing to create
and apply a patch bundle that doesn't call initThreads but still
forked a thread for rebuilding and restarting (by opening a new X
connection before the restart).

~d