[xmonad] * Converted UrgencyHooks to simple Window -> X () functions [patch]

Norbert Zeh nzeh at cs.dal.ca
Fri May 4 04:41:12 CEST 2012

Gwern Branwen [2012.05.03 2213 -0400]:
> On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 9:35 PM, David McLean <gopsychonauts at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Of the darcs XMonad configurations, six of ten will be broken. Which
> > I'll admit is not great. However, none of these configurations have
> > defined any custom UrgencyHook instances, so the changes required are
> > fairly minor, in some cases just changing the capitalisation to
> > reference value rather than type.
>
> $ g -l [^\.]Hook *.hs|sort -u|wc
>      68      68     399
>
> Yeah, I'm not pushing a patch breaking 68 configs without a lot more
> feedback from  Xmonaders in general.

It would certainly also break my config, even though it's not published
anywhere, and I would suspect that I'm by far not the only xmonad user who
doesn't publish his config.

My reaction to this patch is: I'm willing to live with the breakage (since it's
a one-time fix I need to apply to my xmonad.hs) under two conditions:

* We're convinced that the change this patch introduces is beneficial in the
  long run (I'm semi-convinced by the patch message that this is the case).

* The patch author should make sure that all uses of urgency hooks in the darcs
  repository get converted to the new interface.  (When I worked on my (for now
  on hold) rewrite of the Decoration module, I went through all modules that
  used it and made sure they work.)  I think it would be a very bad idea to have
  broken config examples in the repository.

Cheers,
Norbert