[xmonad] Issue 502 in xmonad: Multihead trouble docs update -- xrandr required for proper display

codesite-noreply at google.com codesite-noreply at google.com
Wed Mar 28 07:30:30 CEST 2012

Owner: ----

New issue 502 by unpan... at gmail.com: Multihead trouble docs update --
xrandr required for proper display

What steps will reproduce the problem?
1. Clean FreeBSD install.

2. Install the following ports:
    - x11/hs-X11
    - x11/hs-xmonad
    - x11/xorg-minimal
    - x11/xterm
    - x11/nvidia-xconfig
    - x11/nvidia-settings

3. Configure!
    - Use a vanilla `defaultConfig`
    - Use default config from nvidia-xconfig
    - Set up the second monitor using nvidia-settings, check Xinerama
    - Start the engines.

Should see a working multihead xmonad running. The result is one workspace
stretched over both monitors. Going through the current troubleshooting FAQ
doesn't lead to any answers. You'll get the following output:

$ ghc -e Graphics.X11.Xinerama.compiledWithXinerama
True

$ ghc -e "Graphics.X11.openDisplay [] >>=
Graphics.X11.Xinerama.getScreenInfo"
[Rectangle {..snip..},Rectangle {..snip..}]

It should mention to make sure you've got xrandr installed. I dunno how
obvious that is, but it *is* the troubleshooting section!

$ uname -a
FreeBSD 9.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 9.0-RELEASE #0: Tue Jan  3 07:46:30 UTC
2012     root at farrell.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64

$ ghc --version
The Glorious Glasgow Haskell Compilation System, version 7.0.4

$  xmonad --version
xmonad 0.10

Are you using an xmonad.hs?  Please attach it and the output of "xmonad
--recompile".

main = xmonad defaultConfig{terminal = "/usr/local/bin/xterm"}

:P

Might make more sense to just make the xmonad port depend on X11 and
xrandr, so they're guaranteed to get pulled in. I'm going to email the
maintainer.