[xmonad] Patch: changes in Prompt and new module

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Fri Jun 29 21:26:36 CEST 2012

On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 3:16 PM, <wagnerdm at seas.upenn.edu> wrote:

> You could consider sending a patch to xmonad-extras if you want to add
> something with extra dependencies. A dependency on dbus makes me especially
> wary, though. If you only need to send things on dbus or can do your sends
> and receives synchronously, you should be fine; but if you need to send and
> receive asynchronously, you're a bit out of luck: xmonad currently runs on
> a single OS thread, which will be blocking in an X call most of the time.

We need to fix that at some point; Xlib exports a macro that can be used to
get at the fd and tell the I/O manager about it, then we make non-blocking
XNextEvent() calls, which would make multithreaded behave more sanely even
if Xlib is left nonthreaded for performance.

Built with -threaded, a forkOS thread could do dbus calls and then
establish its own Xlib connection and XSendEvent() or install a property on
the root window to relay the result.  This doesn't necessarily need to be a
one-way connection, but nothing in the main thread can block to wait on a
response from the dbus thread (instead, use handleEventHook).