[xmonad] mplayer moves 1 step right and 1 step down

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Fri Jun 22 23:30:13 CEST 2012

On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 5:21 PM, Carsten Mattner <
carstenmattner at googlemail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 11:07 PM, Brandon Allbery <allbery.b at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 4:29 PM, Carsten Mattner
> > <carstenmattner at googlemail.com> wrote:
> >> If I return mplayer from fullscreen the floating window
> >> moves 1 step right and 1 step down. Didn't measure how
> >> many pixels it moves.
> >
> > Known, difficult to fix.
> >  http://code.google.com/p/xmonad/issues/detail?id=431
> Does it happen with any other applications? Sounds like changing
> MPlayer's fullscreen mode wouldn't make a difference.
> What's the difficulty?

It's not related to mplayer at all, but to the way borders interact with
floating windows and inappropriately relying on the saved window position.
 In short, when the position of a floating window is (re)computed, it gets
shifted by the border width.  (It's more complicated than this, but that's
the gist.  The actual details involve the inner workings of