[xmonad] how to redirect dynamicLogXinerama output to a FIFO/named pipe?

Lara Michaels laramichaels1978 at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 20 03:57:27 CEST 2012

I would like to be able to have xmonad write the output of its dynamicLogXinerama to a FIFO (that I can then read from a Unity app indicator and thus display the workspaces being currently used).

I modified my desktop config so that rather than executing xmonad directly it instead runs a simple wrapper script
#!/bin/sh

mkfifo /tmp/xmonad-fifo
xmonad >/tmp/xmonad-fifo

but to my surprise running 'tail -f /tmp/xmonad-fifo' shows no
output, while if I simply start xmonad in a terminal I can see it
printing information about the workspaces being used to the terminal:
[1]
[1]
[2]1
[2]1

It would be awesome if anyone could tell me why xmonad's dynamicLog output is not showing up  in the FIFO. xmonad
itself is clearly running (from the moment I start reading data from the FIFO.)

thanks!

~l