[xmonad] [noob question] I lost the sound when using xmonad

Pablo Olmos de Aguilera C. pablo at glatelier.org
Tue Jul 17 18:33:57 CEST 2012

On 16 July 2012 08:37, Samuel Lê <samuel.le at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Ivan,
>
> Thank you for your reply.
> I am using Arch Linux.
> I didn't know anything about alsa and pulseaudio, I am starting to look
> about them now, thanks for the clue.

You have to take into account that XMonad is a window manager (WM),
NOT a desktop environment (DE), though XMonad is *perfectly* capable
of running as a DE.

A DE gives you a "base work space": daemons that ran wifi connections,
rings, auto-mounting, sound servers, ecc (and a lot of stuff you don't
need). In XMonad you have to do it ALL by hand, which is not terrible
(and you learn that there's no magic behind your screen*), but it
makes a really steep learning curve.

Also, that's the same reason why you can run Gnome + XMonad (instead
of metacity) or Xfce + XMonad (instead xfwm4).

Maybe for the start it would be easier to use a DE with XMonad as a
window manager :).

*A couple of weeks ago I discovered why in XMonad the file managers
weren't auto-mounting my usb drives, but they were working on openbox,
xfce and gnome. I finally found that was because a polkit daemon
needed to be running to that feature to work.

Regards!
--
Pablo Olmos de Aguilera Corradini - @PaBLoX
http://www.glatelier.org/