[xmonad] Automatic switch to external monitor?

Tom Davis tom at recursivedream.com
Tue Jan 24 21:42:25 CET 2012

Hey all,

I have a dock at work where I plop my laptop each day; used to be that
as soon as I woke it, it would switch to using the external monitor only
and never turn on the laptop screen. Now it turns on both even though
the laptop is closed, and it takes me opening it and running my "dock"
script (uses xrandr to turn off laptop display and enable external),
shutting the laptop (which sleeps it), then waking it again. Quite
irritating! Until recently this seemed to be automatic for me, but since
switching monitors it isn't.

I'm sure there's some way to do this via ACPI or whatever, but I'm not
familiar enough with it to know. Basically i need an action for "docked"
that will try running "dock on" and see what happens. Any thoughts?