[xmonad] Going Gnomeless (and Unityless on Oneiric)

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 01:32:28 CET 2012

On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 19:11, Jacek Generowicz <jacek.generowicz at cern.ch>wrote:

> Brandon Allbery wrote:
> > On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 18:08, Jacek Generowicz <
> jacek.generowicz at cern.ch>wrote:
> > > sudo /usr/bin/X :1 -auth /var/run/lightdm/root/:1 -nolisten tcp vt8
> -novtswitch
> >
> > That's going to start an X server running nothing and with no way for
> > anything else to connect to it; not very useful.
> That would explain the black screens then :-) But how come something
> equivalent seems to be running on :0 and doing something useful?

Because it was launched by LightDM, which is managing it by initially
displaying a "greeter", then launching a session when someone logs in via
the greeter.  The other alternative is xinit/startx, which launches a
server and then feeds a connection to that server to a script which
attaches things to it to make a session.

> > It also appears that LightDM documentation is nonexistent.
> > https://answers.launchpad.net/lightdm/+question/179211 is about how to
> > manage multiple displays; while it gives a recipe, it also notes that the
> > only way to work this stuff out currently is to read the source code.  :/
> From the above URL:
>   Overall, any unknown keyword or unexpected configuration in the
>   conffile is silently ignored
> Hmmm. That's encouraging. Sigh.

Yeh.  Personally I'd be removing it and installing gdm or kdm at that
point.  :/

By 'multiple seats' does he mean that LightDM will run a login screen
> on :0 :1 :2 etc.? So I could have my working session on :0 and keep
> starting new ones to experiment on :1? But will the display mananager
> have to be restarted to pick up changes in desktop files?

It might need to be restarted to find new session definitions, but it
shouldn't need to be for changes to existing ones.  (Although, "famous last
words" --- I generally expect better from the freedesktop.org folks than
something this undocumented.)