[xmonad] Going Gnomeless (and Unityless on Oneiric)

Jacek Generowicz jacek.generowicz at cern.ch
Tue Jan 17 00:28:16 CET 2012

Ivan,

Thanks for the summary.

Ivan Lazar Miljenovic wrote:

> If you want very minimal DE stuff, [...]  I've ended up using xfce's
> power manager and wicd for networking.

Yes, I'd like to try having something minimal around
XMonad. Networking and power management are the obvious and
fundamental things to be done outside XMonad. Anything else that might
fall into this category, that I might be overlooking?

> Xfce is more of a full-fledged DE, but unless it has changed recently
> there's no official way of having a custom WM (other than using
> session support to remember not to use xfce4wm and to launch xmonad).

Is that a problem? Sounds like what you would have to do for pretty
much any session manager.