[xmonad] Going Gnomeless (and Unityless on Oneiric)

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Mon Jan 16 11:17:18 CET 2012

On Sat, Jan 14, 2012 at 22:58, Jacek Generowicz
<jacek.generowicz at cern.ch> wrote:
[...]
> I'm on Ubuntu Oneiric and have been running XMonad under Unity (which
> seems to be partially built on Gnome?) I see a way forward for getting
> rid of all Gnome or Unity features and replacing them with some
> combination of XMonad, xmobar, dzen, conky etc., except for two:

Another option that you might find worth exploring is using one of the
lighter desktop environments, such as XFCE or LXDE.  I think both of
them would allow you to move away from Gnome/Unity without having to
invest so heavily in finding replacements for all the parts of
Gnome/Unity that "make things just work".

/M

--
Magnus Therning                      OpenPGP: 0xAB4DFBA4
email: magnus at therning.org   jabber: magnus at therning.org