[xmonad] Avoiding multiple status bar processes after XMonad restart

Jacek Generowicz jacek.generowicz at cern.ch
Mon Jan 16 01:34:40 CET 2012

Wirt Wolff wrote:

> In this case perhaps you are running nautilus as a desktop manager,

Not consciously, but it was running. I killed it. Both dzen2 and
xmobar now interact with toggle struts as expected.

Many thanks.

> I think anyone using status bars with xmonad does not use the
> (nautilus) desktop, [...] They set wallpapers directly on the root
> window with feh, Nitrogen, or similar programs.

Personally, I can't imagine why someone running XMonad would want to
set the wallpaper. The whole point is pretty much to make sure that
every pixel is occupied by a useful window. The only time I get to see
what is on the root window is for the fraction of a second between
creating a new workspace and opening something on it :-)

Thank you for your help.