[xmonad] Going Gnomeless (and Unityless on Oneiric)

Jacek Generowicz jacek.generowicz at cern.ch
Sun Jan 15 00:27:59 CET 2012

Brandon Allbery wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 14, 2012 at 16:58, Jacek Generowicz <jacek.generowicz at cern.ch>wrote:
>
> > - Gnome seems to do a fairly decent job of automatically detecting and
> >  managing wireless networks. How would I go about this without
> >  Gnome's assistance? Is there something that can be plugged into
> >  XMonad which will show me available networks, and allow me to
> >

> nm-applet will work with something like trayer instead of the GNOME panel,

Sounds good. Trayer is near the top of my 'check this out' list.

> although you may need to run xmonad under ck-start-session.

Hmm, ck-start-session is news to me, and inital searches didn't make
me all that much wiser.

> wicd is another possibility

That looks promising.

> > - What's the quickest way of accessing system settings. I've been
> >  trying to run without the unity panel and launcher, but I've had to
> >  respawn them just to get access to system setting.
> >

> It should be possible to run gnome-control-center

Ah, cool, that's what I was looking for. It certainly solves the
immediate problem.

> or systemsettings (the KDE version, which you might need to install)
> without having to start either Gnome or KDE.  The latter might work
> better, as KDE's not as much into the "let's start the whole desktop
> first!" thing.

Good to know.

Some great leads there. Many thanks.