[xmonad] dmenu on currently focused monitor

Ruben Gonzalez Arnau rga at sdf.lonestar.org
Fri Jan 13 17:50:22 CET 2012

On 01/13/2012 17:32, Jacek Generowicz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> At the moment I'm invoking dmenu with
>
>       spawn "exe=`dmenu_path | dmenu`&&  eval \"exec $exe\""
>
> Which results in dmenu always appearing on my primary monitor. What
> should be done in order to make dmenu appear on the focused monitor?
> I'm guessing that it might require the use of dmenu's -m option, but
> it's not clear to me how to get XMonad to report the currently focused
> monitor, or how to (cleanly) incorporate this information into the
> spawn command.
>
> As a secondary issue, when monitor 1 is focused and I launch something
> with dmenu, dmenu appears on monitor 0; the launched application
> sometimes appears on monitor 0, sometimes on monitor 1. I haven't
> managed to spot a pattern in this behaviour yet. Any hints on how to
> make this behaviour more stable and more sensible?
>
> Thanks.

You can try to use the latest dmenu (4.5) to see if it fixes that issue.

   * Detects monitor based on input focus, not just pointer location.
   * Token matching instead of just substrings.
   * XIM composition support.
   * Paste from clipboard with C-S-y.
   * stest(1) replaces lsx(1).
   * M-[Gghjkl] restored for vi-like navigation.
   * And a couple of bug fixes.

rga at sdf.lonestar.org