[xmonad] Ambiguous focus after some commands...

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Thu Jan 5 22:14:57 CET 2012

On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 15:39, Allen S. Rout <asr at ufl.edu> wrote:

> So: with my focus on the Emacs, I [C-c C-e d] (control-c, control-e,
> d) and watch the export process go.  Evince updates with the view of
> the new document.
>
> ... And my focus is now oddly inconsistent.  The Emacs window still
> has the red border by which xmonad attempts to communicate focus, and
> if I do things like 'onNextNeighbour W.view' it becomes clear that
> xmonad thinks my focus is there.  But my keystrokes are going to
> evince.

evince is probably raising / focusing itself.  It should ask the WM to do
so instead of doing so itself, but doesn't; and there have been other
reports that xmonad doesn't notice when programs do that.  I suspect an
addition to the handleEventHook is needed that watches for FocusIn events
and updates the internal state if necessary.

...except I just noticed that Graphics.X11.Xlib.Extras.Event doesn't *have*
FocusIn.  Errrr???