[xmonad] Why RationalRects for floating windows?

Norbert Zeh nzeh at cs.dal.ca
Thu Jan 5 19:23:47 CET 2012

Allen S. Rout [2012.01.05 1245 -0500]:
> On 01/05/2012 08:11 AM, Norbert Zeh wrote:
>
> >I think I'll for now tinker with implementing a log hook that
> >updates the stored RationalRect according to some user-specified rules when the
> >windows moves between screens.
> >

> +1... :)
>
> Something that feels similar to the managehook selectors would be
> familiar...

Indeed.

> It's certainly a subject of cognitive dissonance to have to resize
> over and over again.

Well, I always tell people that a mouse (or tablet) is that dust-covered thing
at the edge of my desk to be used for drawing.  For everything else there's the
keyboard.  Having layout issues taken care of for us by the window manager is
the main reason we use xmonad.  So manually resizing windows when they shift to
a different workspace is simply not an option at all.  My current workaround for
my scratchpads is to use them only on screens where their aspect ratio is right,
but that's really only a workaround.

N.