[xmonad] Why RationalRects for floating windows?

wagnerdm at seas.upenn.edu wagnerdm at seas.upenn.edu
Wed Jan 4 19:22:58 CET 2012

Quoting Norbert Zeh <nzeh at cs.dal.ca>:

> I'm wondering whether anybody can enlighten me why the geometry of a floating
> window is stored as a RationalRect relative to the screen size.  I

I expect this is so that various functions can choose rectangles
without knowing the size of your screen. e.g. you don't need to know
the screen is 1024x768 to make a fullscreen window.

I also suppose there's probably times when you want to deal with a
RationalRect and times when you want to deal with a more concrete,
screen-based rectangle, and that the only right solution will involve
keeping both representations (and making sure they're in synch).

~d