[xmonad] Unity appmenu compatible with XMonad?

wagnerdm at seas.upenn.edu wagnerdm at seas.upenn.edu
Wed Jan 4 19:04:27 CET 2012

Disclaimer: I am 100% not a Gnome expert.

Quoting Jacek Generowcz <jacek.generowicz at cern.ch>:

> XMonad then runs beautifully, except for one serious problem: no
> application menus appear at all, neither in the application windows,
> nor on the panel (appmenu).

This sounds vaguely like a communication problem. Other gnome
applications seem to prefer dbus for IPC; have you definitely got a
session dbus started correctly and all the appropriate environment
variables exported? In case it helps, I have the following in my
.xinitrc:

#!/usr/bin/env zsh
setopt allexport
eval $(dbus-launch --sh-syntax --exit-with-session)
eval $(gnome-keyring-daemon --components=pkcs11,secrets,ssh,gpg)
unsetopt allexport

If you don't use zsh, run dbus-launch manually once to see which
variables to export.

Cheers,
~d