[xmonad] Not passing Mod key to applications

John Goerzen jgoerzen at complete.org
Mon Feb 27 20:44:48 CET 2012

Hi everyone,

In what appears to be typical fashion, I have that pesky Windows key
(mod4mask) mapped to Mod.  That's been nice because it's mostly unused
anywhere else.

But the devil is in the word "mostly".

I have to run some Windows VMs and terminals.  They do actually use that
key.  So when I start to press, say, Mod-5 to switch to a different
workspace, the Windows session does something as soon as I press mod.

This is even worse with VirtualBox, which somehow prevents xmonad from
seeing the keypress when VirtualBox is active.

I'd rather have xmonad completely eat all Mod keypresses, and let no
other application, even those Windows RDP or VirtualBox sessions, ever
see it.  I don't really ever use it in Windows anyhow, so it's just
causing annoyance.

For awhile, Google Docs popped up keyboard shortcut help when I'd press
it over one if its windows.  I think that behavior has now gone away,
but I'm not certain if it's something they did or something I did.

Is there a quick trick to accomplish this?

Thanks,

-- John