[xmonad] Is it possible to reset Xmobar without restarting Xmonad?

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Sun Feb 12 03:48:39 CET 2012

On Sat, Feb 11, 2012 at 21:32, Wirt Wolff <wirtwolff at gmail.com> wrote:

> Grr.. Sorry, I should have read more carefully. To avoid recompiling,
> run `xmonad --restart' from a terminal instead. I believe aavogt's
> config on the wiki archive has a snippet to only recompile when it's
> really needed.
>
> It's very puzzling though that your windows and workspaces change on a
> mod-q even with xmonad.hs unchanged.

I see this as well, and have for a while; I had thought it was related to
some of my experimental modules, but it continued when I removed most of my
ManageHook and went to a relatively vanilla setup (but still using
FadeInactive); when I removed FadeInactive as well, it went away.

I'm inclined to agree with the assertion that it's related to using
xcompmgr, which has a number of odd bugs.

(I also see slow compilation in that particular setup, but that has less to
do with xmonad than with it running in an EC2 micro instance, which really
doesn't have enough memory to run ghc properly....)