[xmonad] Delays in focus update...

Allen S. Rout asr at ufl.edu
Wed Feb 8 15:21:11 CET 2012

On 02/07/2012 06:27 PM, Norbert Zeh wrote:
> Norbert Zeh [2012.02.07 1657 -0400]:

> Alright.  Tested with 4 monitors, 30 windows per monitor, no decoration.
> Indeed, there is a lag in focus switching, but it is not unbearable.
 > [...]

So I don't want to go down a blind alley here:  I'm not suggesting that
30 terminals, each 2 characters wide, is a rational work environment. :)
  My tossing 20-30 terminals on a screen was a way to exacerbate the
problem so it was easy to measure.

The Real Problem is that I can sweep my mouse pointer across my desktop,
to (for instance) move from the web browser to an editor, start typing,
and get my input lost.  I haven't yet gotten bits distributed over other
windows, but I fear that.  Some semi-random set of keystrokes
accidentally dropped in an interstitial root window.  *shudder*.

The most common case of this is when I copy something to the cut buffer,
and go 'somewhere else' to paste it.  At the moment, I've added to my
mental process a "pause and wait for the G- D- border to turn red".
Otherwise things get pasted into nowhere.  That's a serious interruption
of flow.

- Allen S. Rout