[xmonad] silly behavior of killWord in XMonad.Prompt

Chris Jones cjns1989 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 26 11:07:08 CEST 2012

On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 03:21:51AM EDT, Aleksandar Dimitrov wrote:

[..]

> One of my reasons for switching to zsh was that when I had punched in
> a long path and made a mistake in the last segment of it, I might hit
> ^W, but then bash deletes the entire path with no possibility of undo!
> zsh only deletes up to the '/', which I prefer greatly.

I don't know how zsh handles it but it's not bash/readline that deletes
the entire path - or IOW, uses space only as the word separator..

| $ stty -a
|
| intr = ^C;       (...)    werase = ^W; lnext = ^V;  ...

Here, in bash/readline, I see <CTRL-ALT-h> mapped to backward-kill-word,
which also uses the slash as a word separator.

I assume it's the default binding.

For more information:

| $ bind -p | less
| $ help bind
| $ man readline

Also,, note that you can use <CTRL-Y> to yank back something you deleted
by accident via <CTRL-W>.

CJ

--
WHAT YOU SAY??