[xmonad] nedit-nc -tabbed no longer working

Ben Franksen ben.franksen at online.de
Mon Apr 2 17:43:47 CEST 2012

Hi Xmonadists

I am a long-time fan of the -- unfortunately no longer maintained -- text
editor that goes by the name of 'nedit'. Nedit is built on the Motif
toolkit.

Nedit can be run in client mode (the executable is named 'nc' in this case,
for nedit client, on debian and some other systems called 'nedit-nc')
meaning that it attaches to a running instance of nedit. If given the extra
switch -tabbed, it will open another tab inside an already open nedit server
session. Depending on a configuration setting, it starts a new server if
none is found.

A few xmonad-versions ago 'nedit-nc -tabbed' suddenly stopped working.
Instead of opening the file as a new tab inside the running session, a new
window is opened. If no session is already running, I get _two_ windows, one
with the file I specified (on the command line) and one with a new file
('untitled'), which is quite annoying, especially in a tiling wm such as
xmonad. There is, by the way, only one nedit-server session running, so the
client mode works in principle, only the -tabbed mode is broken.

This works fine under all other window managers I tried, including those of
gnome, kde, xfce, and lxde.

I tried anything I could think of to fix possible problems with my
configuration but to no avail. I gave up then and went back to using kde
when programming. But I am missing xmonad very much and would really like to

I think the nedit client mode utilizes some X11 feature for communicating
between processes over the X11 protocol, but I have no intimate knowledge of
X11, so I can't tell for sure. BTW, most linux distributions still offer
nedit as a package, if yours does not the latest sources (from 2005) are
available from the nedit.org site.

I would be extremely happy and thankful if someone finds a solution for this
problem so I could again use my favourite window manager *and* my favourite
text editor together.

BTW, I am currently on a 64 bit amd running debian testing.

Cheers
Ben