[xmonad] xmonad for the Haskell unwashed?

Allen S. Rout asr at ufl.edu
Tue Sep 27 16:14:31 CEST 2011

Hi; I'm contemplating a tiling WM, and am drawn to xmonad because its
customisation language is its implementation language;  I'm long
accustomed to this in e.g. EMACS, so I feel it'd be a good fit.

But a friend, who's otherwise an outspoken Haskell advocate, put xmonad
down in favor of awesome for reasons I'll summarize as 'dependency hell'.

I'm interested in the perspective of the xmonad clan on this: If I pick
up xmonad simply because I want a hackable WM, how much Haskell
janitorial work will I be taking on?  Is there a straightfoward and
broadly accepted base of package repositories?   Are the participants in
the module ecosystem pretty careful not to break stuff?    Do current
versions of various xmonad packages all depend on the current versions
of their dependencies?

- Allen S. Rout