[xmonad] keyboard layout change

G. Nikiforov g_nikiforov at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 22 08:21:34 CEST 2011

Hello, I have a question regarding setting a shortcut for changing the keyboard layout in Xmonad. In Gnome there is a graphical utility for this and in FVWM I've done this by using the setxkbmap command in the .fvwmrc file.
First using the setxkbmap command from the command line works, however one of the layouts that I'm using is Cyrillic, so once I'm in it, there's no way I can go back to a Latin keyboard layout. So I looked up the following website:
http://www.xfree86.org/current/XKB-Config2.html#5
and following the advice there created a custom-kbl.conf file in the xorg.conf.d directory. However when I restarted X, all that did was make both my mouse and keyboard inoperational, so I had to reboot using LiveCD and delete the xorg.conf.d directory which I had created.
Any idea what I should do? Btw, I'm using ubuntu 10.04 and had installed xmonad via the synaptic package manager.
Thanks a lot in advance.