[xmonad] From dwm to xmonad

adam vogt vogt.adam at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 15:33:31 CEST 2011

On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 5:29 PM, Bastien Dejean <eschyle at gmail.com> wrote:
> Nathaniel Filardo a écrit :
>
>> On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 4:54 PM, Bastien Dejean <eschyle at gmail.com> wrote:
>> >[snip]
>> > is not entirely satisfying: I don't know how to apply smartBorders and
>> > I'd like the NextLayout message to continue to work : so I guess it
>> > would be better to jump to an element of the layout list... ?
>>
>> Try the JumpToLayout message:
>> http://xmonad.org/xmonad-docs/xmonad-contrib/XMonad-Layout-LayoutCombinators.html#t%3AJumpToLayout
>
> How can I get the 'description string' of the 'Full' layout?
>
> Cheers,
> --
> Bastien

Hi,

You could specify the description string in your configuration by
using, for example (named "a" Full), then use the string "a".
http://xmonad.org/xmonad-docs/xmonad-contrib/XMonad-Layout-Named.html

Or, if you define your layouts separately like:

layout1 = Full
layout2 = ...

main = xmonad defaultConfig{layoutHook = layout1 ||| layout2 ||| layout3}

then you can use (description layout1) as the description string.
Depending on what's defined in layout1 you may get an "ambiguous type
variable". Using the following function to jump to a layout

j2l layout = sendMessage $ JumpToLayout $ description (Layout layout
:: Layout Window)

then add key bindings to   (j2l layout1)   (j2l layout2)  and so on.

--
Adam