[xmonad] xmonad as a stand-alone?

Norbert Zeh nzeh at cs.dal.ca
Mon Sep 19 23:14:47 CEST 2011

Christopher Svanefalk [2011.09.19 2244 +0200]:
> (Brent, sorry for initially sending this to your private mail instead of the
> list, my mistake!)
>
> Thanks to both of you for the kind replies!
>
> Alright, having learnt a bit more about the system, I was thinking this: I
> could just run the standard GDM (long history, low dependencies), and then run
> xmonad through it. However, I need to resolve how to get the system to
> automatically run GDM after booting? Is there a config file I can hack to
> accomplish this?
>
> Thanks in advance!

How to do this depends on your OS/distro.  Some distros have an init
script to start the display manager.  Other distros prefer to add the
display manager as an entry in /etc/telinit and distinguish between
running the window manager or not by altering the runlevel of the
system.  The documentation available for your distro should provide the
necessary information.

Cheers,
Norbert