[xmonad] Comparison of "extensible window managers"

Teika Kazura teika at lavabit.com
Tue Sep 13 01:48:49 CEST 2011

On Tue, 6 Sep 2011 04:02:39 -0400, Brandon Allbery wrote:
>> I don't understand why large desktop is not so much common[...]
>
> Window managers don't do it any more because X11 has had the ability to do
> it itself for some 10 years now (see the "Screen" section in xorg.conf,
> notably the "Viewport" declaration).

If I understand correctly, they're different. X server resolutions are
fixed by the video card, and you can only choose one from them. E.g.
in my case 1280x800, 800x600, etc. And X "viewport" happens if the
_server_ resolution is bigger than the _monitor_ resolution.

Large desktop is provided by window managers, and there's no
limitation. It can be 10000x10000 or bigger. Unfortunately Sawfish's
simple implementation limits it to 32767, which is a realisitic problem
if you have several monitors.

Thanks anyway.

Teika (Teika kazura)