[xmonad] beginner xmonad question

G. Nikiforov g_nikiforov at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 8 15:00:34 CEST 2011

Hello, I'm using Ubuntu 10.04 with Gnome and FVWM and recently installed Xmonad as well from the Ubuntu package manager. It comes up as a session option in the gdm login screen. Once I'm in Xmonad, what command can I use to log out so that I get back to the gdm log in screen? So far I have always had to restart, which isn't ideal.

My second question is regarding the setup. I read the following page:
http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Xmonad/Using_xmonad_in_Gnome
Am I correct into assuming that I have to do this in case I want Gnome to use Xmonad as opposed to metacity? (which I don't want). For me it would be ideal just to be able to choose between window managers/desktop environments from the gdm login screen. In that case I don't really need to do anything else, don't I?

Thanks a lot in advance.