[xmonad] Comparison of "extensible window managers"

Gwern Branwen gwern0 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 16:26:50 CEST 2011

2011/9/6 Teika Kazura <teika at lavabit.com>:
> I have one question: the page you referred to says
> "live hacking [in stumpwm] means you can hose your X session"
> It's correct, and I have done it several times in Sawfish, like
> infinite loops. (I've never tried StumpWM.) But isn't it the same for
> any of these WMs that if you have errors in your code, your WM can be
> almost unusable, no? Or is it less likely in haskell?

So far I've never done that hacking on Xmonad; the type-checking means
only runtime errors happen, and I'm better at Haskell than I was at
Common Lisp, so I have yet to, say, reload Xmonad with an empty root

(With that example in particular, I'd actually have to work hard at
it. The usual style for configs is to *combine* the default keymap
with the custom keymap - 'myKeys c `M.union` keys default config c'.
So if I replaced myKeys = [], I would still be left with the default
XMonad keymap when I reloaded.)

> (And please make it habit to record the date of last web page edit,
> which is really informative for readers.)

gwern.net is a Darcs repo, so the full history is available. Or you
could check the HTTP headers for the last-modified header, I believe.
I've been meaning to ask Jasper to make Hakyll provide the
last-modified file time for easy substitution (I'd probably put it
below the 'abstract' field), but haven't gotten around to it.

> # Wow, you're interested in 柄井川柳 (Karai Senryu)? I don't know
> # about him at all, but I'm interested in Edo period senryu, too.

Vaguely interested; that was added years ago when I still thought
Wikipedia was a great place to work. My enthusiasm flagged after
finishing http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fujiwara_no_Teika and I didn't
find very many sources about senryu, so...

> # I'm Japanese. :)

I figured from the name. In an amusing coincidence, one of my favorite
poets is Fujiwara no Teika (see above).