[xmonad] Comparison of "extensible window managers"

Gwern Branwen gwern0 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 16:26:50 CEST 2011

2011/9/6 Teika Kazura <teika at lavabit.com>:
> I have one question: the page you referred to says
> "live hacking [in stumpwm] means you can hose your X session"
>
> It's correct, and I have done it several times in Sawfish, like
> infinite loops. (I've never tried StumpWM.) But isn't it the same for
> any of these WMs that if you have errors in your code, your WM can be
> almost unusable, no? Or is it less likely in haskell?

So far I've never done that hacking on Xmonad; the type-checking means
only runtime errors happen, and I'm better at Haskell than I was at
Common Lisp, so I have yet to, say, reload Xmonad with an empty root
keymap.

(With that example in particular, I'd actually have to work hard at
it. The usual style for configs is to *combine* the default keymap
with the custom keymap - 'myKeys c `M.union` keys default config c'.
So if I replaced myKeys = [], I would still be left with the default
XMonad keymap when I reloaded.)

> (And please make it habit to record the date of last web page edit,
> which is really informative for readers.)

gwern.net is a Darcs repo, so the full history is available. Or you
could check the HTTP headers for the last-modified header, I believe.
I've been meaning to ask Jasper to make Hakyll provide the
last-modified file time for easy substitution (I'd probably put it
below the 'abstract' field), but haven't gotten around to it.

> # Wow, you're interested in 柄井川柳 (Karai Senryu)? I don't know
> # about him at all, but I'm interested in Edo period senryu, too.

Vaguely interested; that was added years ago when I still thought
Wikipedia was a great place to work. My enthusiasm flagged after
finishing http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fujiwara_no_Teika and I didn't
find very many sources about senryu, so...

> # I'm Japanese. :)

I figured from the name. In an amusing coincidence, one of my favorite
poets is Fujiwara no Teika (see above).

--
gwern
http://www.gwern.net