[xmonad] Comparison of "extensible window managers"

Teika Kazura teika at lavabit.com
Tue Sep 6 07:19:48 CEST 2011

Thanks, Gwern. So your line of interest is similar to mine. :)

I have one question: the page you referred to says
"live hacking [in stumpwm] means you can hose your X session"

It's correct, and I have done it several times in Sawfish, like
infinite loops. (I've never tried StumpWM.) But isn't it the same for
any of these WMs that if you have errors in your code, your WM can be
almost unusable, no? Or is it less likely in haskell?

It's better to byte-compile in Lisp, too. Sawfish's lisp (librep) is
poor, but I guess common lisp compiler may be able to emit good
warnings.

(And please make it habit to record the date of last web page edit,
which is really informative for readers.)

I don't understand why large desktop is not so much common (famous
example which has LD is fvwm); it's really convenient since geometric
meaning is intuitive. For example, my top-right viewport (a viewport
is the portion shown in a monitor) is assigned for browser, and I
switch the viewport by Shift + cursor. I only have one workspace,
but some Sawfish user have several large workspaces.

# Wow, you're interested in 柄井川柳 (Karai Senryu)? I don't know
# about him at all, but I'm interested in Edo period senryu, too.
# I'm Japanese. :)

Teika (Teika kazura, retired Sawfish developer)