[xmonad] Japanese fonts in an XFT xmobar or dzen panel with dynamiclog

Daniel Anderson dankles at gmail.com
Tue Oct 11 02:21:59 CEST 2011

Greetings Team,

I've been trying to figure out a solution for a long time now on how
to get different character sets like japanese and korean to render for
xmobar or dzen with XFT from the xmonad dynamiclog.

If my font is something like liberation or dejavu
(mono/sans/serif/etc) I'll get squares for any japanese character that
should be rendered (or chinese or korean / etc).

It will render the japanese font if I set my font to be an actual
japanese font like takao, but I'd like to have my full range of fonts
work so it will render korean and other characters.

Anyone know a solution to this? normally with any gtk/qt app, it will
obey my fontconfig settings, though dzen and xmobar do not.

Thanks

Daniel