[xmonad] Wallpaper Appearing Briefly on Client Creation/Destruction in Tiled Layouts

Norbert Zeh nzeh at cs.dal.ca
Wed Oct 5 18:17:44 CEST 2011

wagnerdm at seas.upenn.edu [2011.10.05 0925 -0400]:
> Quoting Joachim Breitner <nomeata at debian.org>:
>
> >Am Mittwoch, den 05.10.2011, 12:04 +0200 schrieb Bastien Dejean:
> >>I noticed that my wallpaper (or the root window if there is none) is
> >>appearing briefly (i.e. flashing) during client creation /
> >>destruction in tiled layouts.
> >>
> >>This jerky effect is not happening in Fullscreen layout.
> >
> >just confirming this effect; here it also happens when switching between
> >workspaces, independent of the Fullscreen layout. Not having this
> >flickering would indeed be nice.
>
> Some work has been done since the last release to mitigate this
> effect. Have you tried the latest code from darcs yet?

Well, "mitigate" is the right word here and it certainly is much less
noticeable.  Nevertheless, there is still some flicker in window
creation/destruction.  I would suspect that this is simply in the nature
of X: to eliminate any flicker with window creation/destruction would
require a transaction model that asks the X server to redraw the entire
screen only once all windows have been repositioned, treating the
manipulation of multiple top-level windows as a single transaction.  As
far as I understand it, that's simply not part of the X protocol.

Cheers,
Norbert