[xmonad] xmobar

Audun Skaugen audunskaugen at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 16:48:03 CET 2011

Marco Guidetti wrote:
> I tried this,  but the biggest problem (for me) was to be able to
> distinguish between different instances of xmobar running.
> I solved it with (in the startup shell script):
>
> xmobardown=`ps ax |grep xmobar|grep -v up|awk '{print $1}'`
> for proc in ${xmobardown}
> do
>   kill -9 ${proc}
> done
> xmobar ~/.xmobardownrc &
>
> I am sure there is a more elegant way to do it, maybe using pidof (it
> didn't work for me tho) but this works, more or less.
> You say you use 4 instances of xmobar? Can I put xmobar also in
> "vertical"? That would be nice ;)
My solution to the trayer problem involved searching through /proc/ for
the command name and spawning only if it doesn't find anything. I could
post it here when I get home if you want, but it doesn't work for
several instances of the same program.

Also, I discovered a module called SpawnOnce in darcs XMonadContrib
(after implementing my own), which might or might not work for you.