[xmonad] xmonad as an outsider

Allen S. Rout asr at ufl.edu
Mon Nov 14 19:35:11 CET 2011

On 11/10/2011 05:13 PM, Norbert Zeh wrote:

> Now, however, I appreciate the advantages that result from
> implementing xmonad in Haskell and using the same language for its
> configuration: I just slapped together a fairly complex new
> extension module for xmonad, and it took me two evenings.

IMO, The problem is simply the learning curve to get started.  I've
been failing to convince people to work with EMACS on that basis for
decades.  The two cases actually have deep congrence: Complex and
subtle applications with a minimal core, customized (and mostly
composed) of functional-language forms on top of that core.

No real barrier between a 'collection of tweaks' and a 'contrib
module' and an 'extension'.

- Allen S. Rout